Sound Transit East Link Extension work includes a new Judkins Park Station, taking the place of the now closed Rainier Freeway Station. To construct entrances to the new station, crews must first remove one of the WB I-90 bridges crossing Rainier Ave S.
3 1 weekend s of demo.!
The bridge segment noted in the project flyer will be demolished over
three one weekend s (the team finished early!), making way for future station entryways. The adjacent pedestrian bridge will remain, becoming a pedestrian walkway connecting the W side of Rainier Ave to the new entrance.
What to expect:
Contractors will incrementally demolish sections of the closed bridge, removing small pieces of rubble from rubber mats and a sand/soil mixture placed below. The rubble will then be hauled off in truck loads to be recycled.
Update: weekends of October 19 – 22 and 26 – 29 now canceled, after early completion!
October 12 – 15;
19 – 22; and 26 – 29 | 11 PM Fridays – 5 AM Mondays
- Rainier Ave S will be closed at I-90.
- WB I-90 off-ramp to SB Rainier Ave S.
- Bus stops on Rainier Ave S, S Jackson to S Massachusetts streets, will not be served during project work.
- Sidewalks in work area will also be closed.
- NB vehicular traffic detoured to 23rd Ave S and to Martin Luther King Jr Way S.
- Metro Bus Routes 7 and 106 will be rerouted to Martin Luther King Jr Way S (All stops on reroute will be served).
- Bus stops at Rainier Ave S and S Charles S entering/exiting I-90 will remain open, serviced by Sound Transit Express 554.
- Local access will be maintained for businesses on Rainier Avenue S.
- Loud noise from demolition and removal of a portion of the I-90 roadway.
- Intermittent vibration may also be noticeable.