Primed & ready.
Today crews primed the replacement parts that will help get the W Seattle Lower Bridge back in service. The huge piston also had to be rotated to match the position of the bridge–for ‘ease’ of placement.
Pull & push.
Saturday morning the team will begin pulling the massive old hydraulic assembly out from inside the pier machine house. Today crews worked to ensure the heavy pull goes smoothly, clearing space for crane movements that include pushing the new assembly in when the time is right.
Shuttle resumes Monday!
The bike commuter shuttle wraps up tonight, resuming Monday at 6 AM. For weekend riders, see the bike detour map. Thank you @SDOTtraffic tweeters for sharing detour experiences–with these suggestions from downtown to W Seattle:
- Stay far right on 1st Ave S, over E Marginal Way, to signed bike route.
- Take 1st Ave S bike route under bridges, toward S Michigan St.
- Stay right to ride onto 1st Ave S Bridge.
What you can expect:
Spokane St Swing Bridge, a.k.a. W Seattle Low-Level Bridge over the Duwamish River is out of commission through next week.
- 🚙 Detour routes are marked at the following locations:
- Chelan Ave SW
- 1st Ave S
- E Marginal
- 🚲 Shuttle service for bike riders will run during weekday commutes, up to 15 passengers each trip.
- 🚲 Shuttle service is available 6 – 10 AM and 3 – 7 PM starting Monday; arriving at each side every ~20 minutes.
- 🚲 Bike Riders: go to bridge approaches in Seattle and W Seattle for weekday shuttle pickup and drop-off.
Enjoy the weekend!
It’s a busy weekend with special events and construction. Have fun and stay safe while the W Seattle Low-level Bridge gets some high-level maintenance!