SDOT is advising travelers in Judkins Park and the Central Area to prepare for major traffic changes along 23rd Avenue S between South Jackson St and Rainier Ave S.
Crews will close the southbound lanes of 23rd Ave S starting on Wednesday, May 16, between S Jackson St and South Norman St. Southbound traffic in this area will be detoured to Martin Luther King Jr Way S. We expect construction, and the southbound detour, to last for approximately one year. The detour will allow a safe space for construction and equipment in the narrow roadway.
These traffic changes mark the start of construction for Phase 2 of the 23rd Avenue Corridor Improvements Project. The project will help enhance safety for people who drive, walk, and take transit on 23rd Ave S between S Jackson St and Rainier Ave S. Customers can continue to access local businesses in the construction area by driving on northbound 23rd Ave S, by walking, and by bike.
Beginning Monday, May 14, travelers can expect the following changes:
- Temporary lane shifts as crews begin survey work, saw-cutting, and striping
- Crews will stripe in a left-turn pocket to southbound 23rd Ave S at S Massachusetts St; this left-turn lane will assist with traffic flow during the detour
- Expect long-term parking restrictions on the south side of S Massachusetts St near 23rd Ave S
- Metro bus route detours:
- Southbound and northbound Routes 4 and 48 will detour to Martin Luther King Jr Way S for the duration of construction
- For more information about Metro changes and detours during construction, visit https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/programs-projects/transit-corridors-parking-and-facilities/23-avenue-s-reroutes.aspx
Beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 16, travelers can expect the following changes:
- Northbound travel on 23rd Ave S will be maintained between Rainier Avenue S and S Jackson St, through reduced to one lane (except at key intersections); drivers should expect delays
- Southbound lanes on 23rd Ave S will be closed to traffic at S Jackson St; southbound traffic will be detoured at S Jackson St to Martin Luther King Jr Way S and connect with 23rd Ave S at S Massachusetts St
- Through-drivers are encouraged to use other arterials prior to S Jackson St, such as E Cherry St and E Yesler Way, to detour to Martin Luther King Jr Way S
- A left turn lane is being added for vehicles turning from westbound S Massachusetts St to southbound 23rd Ave S to assist with detour operations at that intersection
- Southbound travel between S Norman St to S Massachusetts St on 23rd Ave S will be open and reduced to a single lane to allow access to homes, businesses, and community destinations
- Southbound travel will be open from S Massachusetts St to Rainier Avenue S and reduced to a single lane; drivers should expect delays
- Periodic closures of cross streets through the 23rd Ave S corridor from S Jackson St to Rainier Ave S; these closures will be limited to the extent possible to reduce inconvenience to area drivers and residents
- All businesses on 23rd Ave S will remain open during construction; please continue to support local businesses during construction!
- Please visit the website for more information and to view a map of the detour: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm
SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is completed. For more information on this project go to: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm.