SDOT advises travelers in the Rainier Beach area that maintenance crews will clear debris-covered segments of sidewalks on the west side of Rainier Ave S between S Carver and S Ryan streets. The existing sidewalk is covered with vegetation overgrowth, making areas of the sidewalk inaccessible. The maintenance will also help identify areas where a small retaining wall could prevent future overgrowth or surface debris from the adjacent slope onto the sidewalk.
From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, September 17 and Sunday September 18, travelers can expect the following:
- One lane of southbound traffic on Rainier Ave S between S Carver St and S Ryan St will be shifted around the work area. Northbound lanes will not be impacted.
- The west side sidewalk will be temporarily closed.
- The west side bike lane will be temporarily closed. People biking will be instructed to merge with traffic.
- The maintenance will take approximately 2 to 5 days to complete.
- Transit access will not be impacted.
This work is part of the Rainier Ave S Landslide Mitigation project to meet SDOT’s goal of sidewalk maintenance and reducing impacts to people walking. SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is being completed.
For more information, please visit http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/landslidemitigation_rainier.htm.