The Seattle Department of Transportation advises travelers of overnight construction and detours at the intersection of South Jackson Street and 23rd Avenue South while crews complete testing of the new water main as part of the 23rd Avenue Corridor Improvements Project. Detours will be in effect for drivers heading north, west or south through this intersection, though local access will be maintained and businesses accessible. Additional weekend work at this intersection is tentatively planned for next weekend, June 26-29, and two weekends in July.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, June 19 through 6 a.m. Saturday, June 20, travelers can expect the following:
- Access to westbound S Jackson Street at 23rd Avenue S will be closed to traffic.
- Eastbound drivers using S Jackson Street will be able to continue east through the intersection or head south on 23rd Avenue S.
- Westbound S Jackson Street between 25th and 23rd Avenues will be local access only.
- Southbound 23rd Avenue between E Yesler Way and S Jackson Street will be local access only.
- Detours around the intersection of S Jackson Street at 23rd Avenue S include:
- For southbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via E Yesler Way to 20th Avenue S, continuing on S Judkins Street to 23rd Avenue
- Northbound 23rd Avenue remains closed between S Jackson and E Cherry Street; drivers should follow the detour to Martin Luther King Jr Way which reconnects with 23rd Avenue at E Cherry Street
- To access westbound S Jackson Street, detours routes include:
- From the east, drivers should take Martin Luther King Jr Way to E Yesler Way to 20th Avenue S to S Jackson Street
- From the south, drivers can use the signed detour via Martin Luther King Jr Way to E Yesler Way to 20th Avenue S to S Jackson Street or take S Judkins Street to 20th Avenue S to S Jackson Street
- From the north, drivers on 23rd Avenue or Martin Luther King Jr Way should follow E Yesler Way to 20th Avenue S to S Jackson Street
- The detour that went into effect on June 8 for 23rd Avenue construction will remain in place. This detour directs northbound drivers using 23rd Avenue between S Jackson and E Cherry streets to Martin Luther King Jr Way.
- For information about bus service, look for Rider Alert notices at bus stops, see Metro Online, www.kingcounty.gov/metro or call (206) 553-3000.
- Flaggers and uniformed police officers will be present to manage traffic and assist pedestrians.
- Pedestrian crossings will be maintained and businesses will remain open and accessible.
- Please visit the website for more information and to view detour maps http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm