SDOT is announcing progress on the Mercer Corridor Project and advises travelers of upcoming construction in the corridor.
Mercer West construction is progressing throughout the corridor and SDOT anticipates substantial completion to occur later this summer. Prior to that, crews need to complete a series of upcoming major milestones, including:
• Lane striping on Mercer Street (scheduled for week of June 15, details below).
• Sidewalk and landscaping completion on the south side of Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N.
• Constructing the median between Eighth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N on Mercer Street and opening the eastbound and westbound left-turn lanes at Ninth Avenue North.
• Completing intersection modifications including a new signal at Fifth Avenue N and Thomas Street.
Details regarding remaining milestone completion will be sent out as they become available.
Nighttime lane restrictions on Mercer Street June 15-19
Crews will complete final roadway striping on Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N and Dexter Avenue N each night Monday through Friday between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
• Westbound Mercer Street reduced to one lane between Ninth Avenue N and Fifth Avenue N.
• Eastbound Mercer Street reduced to one lane between Fifth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N.
• Northbound and southbound Dexter Avenue North will be reduced to one lane intermittently.
• Uniformed police officers will be stationed as needed to help facilitate traffic flow during the work.
• Each morning, the roadway will open to three eastbound lanes and two westbound lanes between Ninth Avenue N and Fifth Avenue N. Additional lane restrictions may be in place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Please note that all work is weather-dependent and may be cancelled and rescheduled for later dates if inclement weather occurs.
Final signal installation at Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N expected June 23
SDOT anticipates placing Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N in its final configuration by the end of the day on Tuesday, June 23. Uniformed police officers will be stationed at Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to help facilitate traffic flow while crews place signals in their final configuration. Once work is complete, the following changes for traffic operations will occur:
• Left turns from northbound Dexter Avenue N onto westbound Mercer Street will be allowed.
• Left turns from eastbound and westbound Mercer Street onto Dexter Avenue N will be allowed.
• Right turns from southbound Dexter Avenue N onto westbound Mercer Street will be allowed. Right-turning vehicles and southbound bicyclists will have separate signal phases to reduce conflicts.
After the roadway striping and signal work is complete, Mercer will continue to operate with three eastbound lanes and two westbound lanes between Ninth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North, as crews complete sidewalk and landscaping work on the north side of Mercer Street and construction of the median island between Eighth and Ninth avenues. There will also be intermittent daytime closures on Mercer Street for final sidewalk and landscaping work.
Additional updates and details will be sent out as they become available. SDOT appreciates your patience while work is underway on this project.