SDOT announces the opening of the two-way bicycle path on the north side of Mercer Street between Dexter Avenue N and Fifth Avenue N on Friday, May 1. The pathway will be open and available for cyclists to use for the month of May and will close again for up to two weeks in June to accommodate work under the SR 99 Bridge.
Bicycle route details and reminders:
- The bicycle pathway on the west side of Fifth Avenue N will remain closed. Southbound cyclists on Fifth Avenue N may ride in the roadway or use the sidewalk.
- Northbound cyclists on Fifth Avenue N may cross Fifth Avenue N on the north side of Mercer Street to continue north on the Fifth Avenue N bike lane or east on the new Mercer bike path.
- Northbound cyclists on Dexter Avenue N are required to merge with vehicular traffic when approaching Mercer Street.
- Bicycle signal heads will not be activated at this time.
- Cyclists are reminded to please yield to pedestrians at intersections and observe pedestrian signals when crossing streets.
- For more information about SDOT’s bicycle rules, please visit: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikecode.htm