Beginning at 11 p.m. tomorrow, April 17, contractor crews from IMCO General Construction will detour westbound Interstate 90 traffic to the express lanes until 5 a.m. Monday, April 20, while they upgrade operations systems in the westbound Mount Baker and Mercer Island tunnels. Drivers should plan ahead for delays and give themselves extra time to cross Lake Washington using I-90 or consider alternate routes like State Route 520 or I-405.
WSDOT and Sound Transit contractor crews have additional weekend work scheduled for eastbound May 1–4 and westbound May 15–18. After that crews will not perform any weekend directional closures between June and September.
Friday, April 17 – Monday, April 20
- Contractor crews will shift all westbound I-90 traffic between Bellevue Way and Rainier Avenue South to the express lanes from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
- Drivers wishing to access Mercer Island will need to exit westbound I-90 at East Mercer Way. There are no westbound exits to Mercer Island from the express lanes.
- Those traveling from Mercer Island to Seattle should enter the express lanes at 77th Avenue Southeast or Island Crest Way.
- Westbound I-90 drivers will be unable to exit to Rainier Avenue South and should follow the signed detour using Fourth Avenue South and eastbound I-90.
- Drivers transporting flammable materials westbound across Lake Washington must use alternate routes such as I-405, SR 520 or SR 522.
- The I-90 Trail will not be impacted during the closure.
Special events Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers at Safeco Field
- 6:10 p.m. Saturday, April 18
- 1:10 p.m. Sunday, April 19
Snoop Dogg concert at the WaMu Theater
- 8 p.m. Sunday, April 19
Tools for drivers
- Visit WSDOT’s What’s Happening Now website for a 24-hour highway construction look-ahead.
- Get traveler information on your mobile device at www.wsdot.com/Inform/mobile.htm.
- Find information on Seattle area traffic at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle.
- View traffic cameras at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic.
- Find travel alerts at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/trafficalerts.
- Call 511 for traffic updates.
- Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.
This is the third of up to 30 weekend directional closures of I-90 between now and mid-2017. Traffic will be detoured to the I-90 express lanes during the directional closures. These closures are part of the Washington State Department of Transportation and Sound Transit’s I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV Operations project which preserves the three general purpose lanes while adding all-day carpool lanes to I-90 and direct access ramps for transit, carpools, and vanpools. In mid-2017, Sound Transit contractors will begin work on the I-90 express lanes to operate exclusively for light rail as part of the East Link light rail project. The 14-mile East Link project, set to open in 2023, includes 10 new stations connecting Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue and Overlake.