SDOT is advising travelers of the full closure of Dexter Avenue N between Aloha and Harrison streets and lane closures on Mercer Street on April 10-13.
Crews will complete concrete pours and move traffic off of the temporary roadway along the east side of Dexter Avenue N at Mercer Street. This is a major milestone as the Mercer Corridor Project works toward substantial completion.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, April 10 through 5 a.m. Monday, April 13, Dexter Avenue N will be fully closed to traffic. Mercer Street will be restricted to one lane in each direction between Ninth Avenue N and Sixth Avenue N on Friday night and Saturday morning. In addition, WSDOT will close the northbound off-ramp from I-5 to Mercer Street and the southbound on-ramp from Mercer St to I-5 on Friday and Saturday nights. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Dexter Avenue N will be fully closed between Aloha and Harrison streets. Travelers will be detoured onto Ninth Avenue N.
- Eastbound and westbound Mercer Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Ninth Avenue N and Sixth Avenue N from 11 p.m. Friday to 11 a.m. Saturday.
- The northbound I-5 off-ramp to Mercer and the on-ramp from Mercer to southbound I-5 will be closed from 11 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday and from 11 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday.
- Police officers will be stationed on the Dexter Avenue N detour route to help facilitate traffic flow.
- For alternate routes during the closure: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercer_maps.htm
Travelers can expect to see the following new traffic configurations affecting drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists:
Beginning Monday, April 13 northbound Dexter Avenue N will be a in a temporary configuration for approximately six weeks as crews continue sidewalk, pavement and signal work on the east side of Dexter Avenue N, including the southeast corner of the Mercer Street intersection. In addition, Roy Street will be closed between Dexter Avenue N and Eighth Avenue N from April 13 to April 17.
- There will be one northbound lane on Dexter Avenue N for thru and right-turning traffic approaching Mercer Street.
- Northbound bicyclists on Dexter Avenue N will need to merge with vehicular traffic between Republican and Mercer streets.
- Drivers will be prohibited from turning right from southbound Dexter Avenue N onto westbound Mercer Street until the signal adjustments are complete. Please continue to use Ninth Avenue N as an alternate route to access westbound Mercer Street.
- Pedestrians may use the west side of Dexter Avenue N between Roy and Republican streets.
- The north and west crosswalks at the intersection of Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N will be open to pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Roy Street will be closed between Dexter Avenue N and Eighth Avenue N for one week.
- Please visit our website in the coming days for a new pedestrian map detailing the new configuration. http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercer_maps.htm
Norm Mah, SDOT