The Seattle Department of Transportation advises travelers of full roadway closures planned for Mercer Street, Fifth Avenue North and Taylor Avenue North this week. Relief is coming as crews complete paving, lane striping and signal adjustments for the opening of a third eastbound lane on Mercer Street immediately following the closure. This is a major milestone as the Mercer Corridor Project works to complete its West Phase.
Full closure of Taylor Avenue N at Mercer Street, Nov. 12
From 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 12, Taylor Avenue North will be fully closed between Roy and Mercer streets as crews pave a portion of the roadway. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Turns to and from Mercer Street at Taylor Avenue North will be prohibited.
- Travelers from Queen Anne should use Fifth Avenue North to access Mercer Street.
- Local access to businesses on Taylor Avenue North between Mercer and Roy streets will be maintained from Roy Street.
Following this work, Taylor Avenue North will continue to be restricted to southbound travel only as crews complete work in the roadway. Travelers from westbound Mercer Street should use Fifth Avenue North to continue north to the Queen Anne neighborhood.
Full closure at Mercer Street, Fifth Avenue N and Taylor Avenue N, Nov. 14-17
Beginning this Friday, Nov. 14 at 11 p.m. through Monday, Nov. 17 at 5 a.m., crews will fully close Mercer Street, Fifth Avenue North and Taylor Avenue North. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between Dexter Avenue North and Fourth Avenue North.
- Fifth Avenue North will be fully closed between Republican and Roy streets.
- Taylor Avenue North will be fully closed between Roy and Mercer streets.
During the closure:
- Alternate routes during the closure may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercer_maps_detour.htm
- Detour routes will be posted and police officers will direct traffic through signalized intersections along the detour.
- Travelers heading to Queen Anne and Seattle Center from I-5 should use alternate routes through downtown or Denny Way to avoid the closure.
- Travelers heading to I-5 and SR 99 from Queen Anne should use Denny Way and alternate routes through downtown.
- Mercer Street between Queen Anne Avenue North and Fourth Avenue North will remain open for local access only, including to the Seattle Center Mercer Garage. Local access to businesses and properties will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses and residences on Taylor Avenue North will be maintained from Roy Street.
- Advanced signage will be posted to direct pedestrians around the work zones.
Please note that work is weather-dependent and may be cancelled and rescheduled for later dates if inclement weather occurs.
Please plan ahead and expect significant traffic delays. Early warning signs will be available in advance of all detours and police officers will manage traffic at key intersections on the detour route.
More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.
Third eastbound lane on Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N opens Nov. 17
On Monday, Nov. 17, crews will open a third eastbound lane on Mercer Street from Fifth Avenue North to Ninth Avenue North. This new Mercer Street configuration will also include two new left turn lanes from westbound Mercer Street onto southbound Fifth Avenue North and is a major milestone as the project works to complete the West Phase. Please pay careful attention to street signs as travelers adjust to new traffic patterns.
Intermittent daytime lane closures on westbound Mercer Street through 2014
Following the opening of the third lane on eastbound Mercer Street, crews will begin improvements on the north sidewalk on Mercer Street. This work will require intermittent single lane closures on westbound Mercer Street between Sixth Avenue North and Fifth Avenue North, weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. through 2014.