Traffic does not take weekends off, even when the Mariners finish their 2014 season and there are no Husky, Seahawks or Sounders home games scheduled. There will be events that will close streets this weekend in the Chinatown/International District and in the Magnolia neighborhood.
Did you know that Seattle has one of the largest Asian populations is the country? Or, that we have two of the best Asian culture museums in America? Well, you can start the weekend at one of them. The Wing Luke Museum’s Bruce Lee exhibit in the International District opens Saturday. While you are there you can enjoy the Double Tenth Parade which celebrates the birth of the Republic of China (Taiwan). The actual “birth” date is October 10th (10/10), hence the title Double Ten.
Sports fans, you can cheer for the runners and walkers on Saturday at the Magnolia Run the Bluff event. Whatever you do, have a great weekend!
Saturday, October 4
Bruce Lee Exhibit Public Opening
- Wing Luke Museum (719 South King Street)
- Event hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Estimated attendance: 500
- Event will close South King Street between 7th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Double Tenth Parade & Flag Raising Celebration
- International District neighborhood
- The parade begins at 1 p.m.
- Estimated attendance: 350
- Parade route: Starting at Hing Hay Park at South King Street and Maynard Avenue South, the parade will proceed east on King to Seventh Avenue South, then south on Seventh to South Weller Street, west on Weller to Sixth Avenue South, north on Sixth Avenue South to South King Street, and east on King into Hing Hay Park. Police Officers will escort the parade.
Magnolia Run the Bluff 10K & 5K
- Magnolia neighborhood
- The run will start at 9 a.m., 5K at 9:15 a.m.
- Estimated participants: 1,000;
- Event starts and finishes adjacent to Magnolia Playfield on West Smith Street between 32nd Avenue West and 34th Avenue West.
- 10K route: Starts north on 34th Avenue West to West Dravus Street; east on Dravus to 32nd Avenue West; south on 32nd to Clise Place West; south on Clise Place to West Howe Street; west on Howe to Magnolia Boulevard West; north on Magnolia Boulevard to West Emerson Street; east on Emerson to 36th Avenue West; north on 36th to West Government Way; east on Government to 32nd Avenue West; south on 32nd to finish on West Smith Street.
- 5K route: Starts east on West Smith to 32nd Avenue West; south on 32nd to Clise Place West; south on Clise Place to West Howe Street; west on Howe to Magnolia Boulevard. West; north on Magnolia Boulevard. to West Barrett St; east on Barrett to 44th Avenue West; south on 44th to West. Armour Street; east on Armour Street to 42nd Avenue West; south on 42nd to Rosemont Place West; south on Rosemont to West McGraw Street; east on McGraw to 32nd Avenue West; north on 32nd to finish on West Smith Street.
Public Relations Supervisor
City of Seattle Department of Transportation
O: 206.684.8548 | Media Line: 206.684-3151| F: 206.684.3238 |firstname.lastname@example.org