The Seattle Department of Transportation advises travelers of upcoming construction activities in the Mercer Corridor Project area throughout August.
Intermittent closure of the southbound right lane on Fifth Avenue North between Mercer and Republican streets continues through Aug. 8
The southbound right lane of Fifth Avenue North between Mercer and Republican streets will be closed intermittently through Friday, Aug. 8 to accommodate sidewalk work on Fifth Avenue North. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- The right southbound lane on Fifth Avenue North between Mercer and Republican streets will be closed beginning 7 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 6 until 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 7, as well as 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 8. One southbound lane will remain open at all times.
- The center lane of westbound Mercer Street between Taylor Avenue North and Fifth Avenue North will also be closed. One left turn lane and one through lane will remain open at all times.
Closure of Taylor Avenue North at Mercer Street scheduled for week of Aug. 11
Starting as early as Aug. 11, Taylor Avenue North will be closed to through traffic between Roy and Mercer streets. This closure is scheduled to accommodate water main installations on the north side of Mercer Street. The official start date and time for this closure will be released in the coming days. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Turns from Mercer Street to Taylor Avenue North will be prohibited.
- Turns from Taylor Avenue North to Mercer Street will also be prohibited.
- Local traffic and pedestrians, including vehicles entering and exiting the QFC parking garage, will have access to and from Taylor Avenue North from Roy Street.
Intermittent closure of turn lanes and bicycle lanes on Dexter Avenue North between Roy and Republican streets, Aug. 11 through Aug. 15
From 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. each day from Monday, Aug. 11 until Friday, Aug. 15, turning lanes and bicycle lanes on Dexter Avenue North will be restricted between Roy and Republican streets to accommodate electrical ductbank work. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- One lane in each direction on Dexter Avenue North will remain open at all times. Uniformed police officers will be positioned at the intersection of Mercer and Dexter to direct traffic.
- The northbound and southbound bicycle lanes on Dexter Avenue North between Roy and Republican streets will be closed between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. from Monday, Aug. 11 until Friday, Aug. 15. Signs will be posted and bicyclists will be directed to merge with traffic.
New configuration for Mercer Street beginning mid-August
Beginning in mid-August, drivers will notice a shift in the configuration of Mercer Street as it crosses Dexter Avenue North. Mercer Street will be shifted south to allow for demolition of the bridge over Broad Street and utility work through the intersection. Turning movements and the number of eastbound and westbound lanes will remain unchanged. More details on this change, including start dates, will be released in the coming weeks.
WSDOT closures of SR 99 scheduled for Aug. 22 through Aug. 27
SDOT advises travelers that the Washington Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program will be closing portions of SR 99 from Friday night, Aug. 22 to Wednesday morning, Aug. 27.
- From 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the West Seattle Bridge to Valley Street.
- Northbound SR 99 will be open from South Royal Brougham Way until midnight on Friday, Aug. 22 for exiting Seahawks traffic.
- Beginning 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25 to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27, SR 99 will remain closed in both directions from the south end of the Battery Street tunnel to Valley Street.
More information about the WSDOT closure may be found at: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/Contents/Item/Display/1713
More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.