The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) advises travelers about nighttime closures of westbound Mercer Street between Dexter Avenue N and Ninth Avenue on July 9 and 10.
Nighttime closures of westbound Mercer Street between Dexter Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N scheduled for July 9 and 10
Starting today, Wednesday, July 9, and on Thursday, July 10, between the hours of 11:59 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., westbound Mercer Street will be closed between Ninth Avenue N and Dexter Avenue. This closure is scheduled to accommodate final preparation for the installation of a new temporary roadway along the east side of Dexter Avenue N between Mercer and Roy streets. Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Westbound Mercer Street between Dexter Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N will be fully closed starting 11:59 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday nights, July 9 and 10.
- Westbound Mercer Street traffic will be detoured north onto Roy Street and reconnect to westbound Mercer Street at Dexter Avenue N.
- Traffic on Dexter Avenue N will shift to the temporary roadway by 6:00 a.m. Friday, July 11.
New Dexter Avenue N configuration begins the morning of July 11
Friday morning, drivers will experience a slight change in their morning commute when traveling on Dexter Avenue N: traffic will be shifted onto a temporary roadway between Roy and Republican streets so that crews may work in the intersection of Dexter Avenue N and Mercer Street. Travelers can expect the following conditions:
- Travel lanes shifted to the east of the existing intersection at Dexter Avenue N and Mercer Street
- One lane of traffic in each direction (same as the current configuration)
- Separated bicycle lanes
- Pedestrian access along the east side of the roadway
Over the next month, crews will construct an additional temporary roadway along the south side of Mercer Street between the SR 99 overpass and Eighth Avenue N. Once complete, traffic will be shifted onto the temporary road with two lanes in each direction. These activities will temporarily shift the intersection of Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N to the southeast and allow crews to complete demolition and utility work in the current intersection of Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N while maintaining traffic through the corridor. The temporary roadways on Mercer Street and Dexter Avenue N will be in place for approximately one year.
More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.