The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) advises travelers of the closure of the intersection of Fifth Avenue N and Mercer Street scheduled for this Friday, May 16 to Monday, May 19.
Beginning the evening of this Friday, May 16 at 11:30 p.m. through Monday, May 19 at 5:00 a.m., the intersection of Fifth Avenue N and Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic to accommodate roadway excavation and concrete paving. Fifth Avenue N will be fully closed between Republican and Roy streets and Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between Fourth Avenue N and Taylor Avenue N. During the closure:
- Travelers heading east on Mercer Street will be detoured south onto Queen Anne Avenue N toward Denny Way.
- Travelers heading north on Fifth Avenue N will be detoured onto westbound Republican Street and northbound Fourth Avenue N to reconnect with westbound Mercer or Roy streets.
- Travelers heading south on Fifth Avenue N will be detoured east or west at Roy Street and should use southbound Taylor Avenue N to continue east towards I-5 on Mercer Street or downtown via Dexter Avenue N.
- Local access to businesses and properties will be maintained at all times.
- Pedestrians will be detoured and advanced signage will be posted.
- Travelers heading toward Queen Anne and Seattle Center from I-5 and Downtown should use westbound Broad Street, Denny Way, and northbound First Avenue N as alternate routes.
- Mercer Street between Queen Anne Avenue N and Fourth Avenue N will remain open for local access only.
- Eastbound Mercer Street between Taylor Avenue N and I-5, Broad Street, Dexter Avenue N, and SR 99 will remain open during the weekend work.
Please note that work is weather dependent and may be cancelled and rescheduled for later dates if inclement weather occurs.
Please plan ahead and expect significant traffic delays. Early warning signs will be available in advance of all detours. More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.
Reminder: Two-way traffic on Mercer Street between First Avenue N and Fourth Avenue N begins this week:
Signal crews will open Mercer Street to two-way traffic between First Avenue N and Fourth Avenue N by the end of the week. Please pay attention to street signs as travelers adjust to new traffic patterns. The block between Fifth Avenue N and Fourth Avenue N will open to two-way traffic after construction at the intersection of Fifth Avenue N and Mercer Street this weekend.
Contact: Rick Sheridan, Communications Director, 206.684.8540