The Seattle Department of Transportation reminds travelers of the full weekend closure of eastbound Mercer Street and southbound Fifth Avenue North occurring this Saturday, Feb. 8 to Monday, Feb. 10.
Beginning at 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, through 5 a.m. on Monday, eastbound Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue North and Ninth Avenue North and southbound Fifth Avenue North between Roy and Mercer streets will be fully closed to traffic for demolition of the old SR 99 bridge footings along Mercer Street and utility work beneath the roadway. During the closure:
- Eastbound Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between Fifth Avenue North and Ninth Avenue North. Travelers heading east from Fifth Avenue North should take Harrison Street to eastbound Broad Street to reconnect with Mercer Street at Ninth Avenue North.
- Southbound Fifth Avenue North will be fully closed to traffic between Roy and Mercer streets. Travelers heading south on Fifth Avenue North will be detoured to westbound Roy Street and Fourth Avenue North in order to reconnect with Fifth Avenue North via eastbound Mercer Street.
- Travelers heading toward I-5 or downtown from Queen Anne should use Queen Anne Avenue North.
- The sidewalk on the north side of Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North will remain open.
- Mercer Street between I-5 and Broad Street, Broad Street, Dexter Avenue North, SR 99 and the I-5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street will remain open during the weekend work.
Early warning signs will be available in advance of Mercer Street and Fifth Avenue North detours. Travelers can expect significant traffic and delays and should plan ahead and use alternate routes. More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm .