SEATTLE—The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) reminds travelers of the following activities within the Mercer Corridor Project area:
Closure of westbound West Mercer Street at Fifth Avenue West on Monday, Jan. 6 through Friday, Jan. 10
Beginning as early as Monday, Jan. 6, crews will close westbound West Mercer Street between Fourth Avenue West and Fifth Avenue West to accommodate deep drainage work. During this work, travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Westbound West Mercer Street between Fourth Avenue West and Fifth Avenue West will be fully closed beginning the morning of Monday, January 6, through the morning of Friday, January 10.
- Westbound traffic on West Mercer Street will be detoured south on Third Avenue West and then westbound on Harrison Street to reconnect to Elliot Avenue West. More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.
- Travelers heading toward the Elliott Avenue West and Fifteenth Avenue West corridor from I-5 should utilize Broad Street and Denny Way or Ninth/Westlake Avenue North and Nickerson Street as alternate routes.
- Eastbound traffic on West Mercer Street will be maintained at all times.
Please note this work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled in the event of inclement weather.
Nighttime closures of eastbound Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North: January 6-9 and January 13-16
Beginning the evening of Monday, January 6, eastbound Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North will be fully closed to traffic at night and for approximately two weeks as crews install lateral storm water connection lines under the roadway. Nighttime closures will be in effect from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. weekday evenings. During this work, travelers can expect:
- Traffic on eastbound Mercer Street will be required to turn right on Fifth Avenue North and re-connect to eastbound Mercer Street via Harrison and eastbound Broad streets.
- Northbound and southbound Fifth Avenue North will remain open to traffic.
- Access to Mercer Street from southbound Fifth Avenue North will be via Harrison and eastbound Broad streets.
- The sidewalk on Mercer Street will also be closed between Fifth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North. Pedestrians will be detoured to Broad Street.
Due to multiple high-volume nighttime events at the Seattle Center during these two weeks, travelers should plan ahead and use alternative routes.