Fifth Avenue South will be partially closed at South Jackson Street the Chinatown/International District from Saturday, Oct. 5 at 2:30 a.m. until Sunday, Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. This closure is required for rail construction associated with the First Hill Streetcar project. South Jackson Street will remain open to east- and westbound traffic but no left turns will be permitted at Fifth Avenue South. North- and southbound traffic on Fifth Avenue South will be required to turn right on South Jackson Street.
The following detours will be provided:
Southbound traffic on Fifth Avenue South will be directed:
- West on South Jackson Street to Second Avenue South;
- North on Second Avenue South to South Main Street;
- East on South Main Street to Second Avenue Extension South;
- South on Second Avenue Extension South to South Jackson Street;
- East on South Jackson Street to Fifth Avenue South.
Northbound traffic on Fifth Avenue South and eastbound traffic on South Jackson Street will be directed:
- East on South Jackson Street to Sixth Avenue South;
- North on Sixth Avenue South to South Main Street;
- West on South Main Street to Fifth Avenue South.
Drivers should expect traffic congestion in the area, allow extra time for travel, and follow clearly marked detour routes. To view a map of the detour routes, please visit the project’s website.
When complete, the First Hill Streetcar Line will have ten stations along a two and one-half mile route from South Jackson Street and Occidental Avenue South to Broadway and Denny Way. The City of Seattle is developing the First Hill Streetcar in partnership with Sound Transit, with funding provided through the 2008 voter approved Sound Transit 2 (ST2) transit expansion plan. Completion is planned for mid- 2014. For further information, visit the project website at http://www.seattlestreetcar.org.