The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) reminds travelers of the upcoming closure of northbound SR 99 and eastbound Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic beginning Friday, September 6 at 11:00 p.m. through Saturday, September 7 at 2:00 p.m. During the closure:
- Northbound SR 99 will be fully closed between the southern end of the Battery Street Tunnel and Valley Street. Traffic traveling through Seattle via SR 99 will be directed to I-5 south of Seattle at E Marginal Way and Spokane Street. More information about alternate routes during construction may be found at: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/mercercorridor.htm.
- Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between 5th Avenue N and Dexter Avenue N. Traffic heading east towards I-5 will be detoured to Harrison and Broad streets at 5th Avenue N and will reconnect to Mercer Street at 9th Avenue N to continue east.
- Eastbound Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between Dexter Avenue N and 9th Avenue N until approximately 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Travelers heading east from Dexter Avenue N should take Republican Street to northbound 9th Avenue N to re-connect with Mercer Street.
- No pedestrian access will be allowed on Mercer Street between 5th Avenue N and Dexter Avenue N during the weekend closure. Pedestrians will need to use the sidewalk on the north side of Broad Street to cross SR 99.
- Southbound SR 99, westbound Mercer Street, Broad Street, and the I-5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street will remain open during the work.
- Early warning signs will be available in advance of the northbound SR 99 lane restrictions. Travelers can expect significant traffic and delays and should plan ahead and use alternate routes.
Media inquiries should be directed to the SDOT Media Hotline 206-684-3151 or Richard Sheridan, 206-684-8540.