The intersections of South King Street and South Weller Street at Eighth Avenue South in the Chinatown/International District will be partially closed to traffic between Tuesday, Sept. 3 and Friday, Sept. 13. The closures are required for roadway excavation and track installation for the First Hill Streetcar. Eighth Avenue South will be open to north- and southbound traffic but South King Street and South Weller Street will be closed to east- and westbound through traffic at Eighth Avenue South. Vehicles will be allowed to make right turns in and out of South King Street and South Weller Street at Eighth Avenue South.
East- and westbound through traffic at these intersections will be directed to use the following detours:
Eastbound traffic on South King Street and South Weller Street will be directed at Seventh Avenue South to use the following detour:
- South on Eighth Avenue South to South Lane Street
- West on South Lane Street to Maynard Avenue South
- South on Maynard Avenue South to South Dearborn Street
- East on South Dearborn Street to Eight Avenue South
- North on Eighth Avenue South to South Weller Street or South King Street
Westbound traffic on South King Street and South Weller Street will be directed to use the following detour:
- North on Eighth Avenue South to South Jackson Street
- West on South Jackson Street to Seventh Avenue South
- South on Seventh Avenue South to South King Street or South Weller Street
- East to Eighth Avenue South
To view a map of the detour route, please visit the project’s website.
When complete, the First Hill Streetcar line will have ten stations along a two and one-half mile route from South Jackson Street and Occidental Avenue South to Broadway and Denny Way. The City of Seattle is developing the First Hill Streetcar in partnership with Sound Transit, with funding provided through the 2008 voter approved Sound Transit 2 (ST2) transit expansion plan. Completion is planned for mid- 2014. For further information, visit the project website at http://www.seattlestreetcar.org.