WDOT Traffic Advisory
March 15, 2013
Crews close lanes Friday and Saturday nights
Construction crews repairing pavement on southbound Interstate 5 in Seattle will take the loud diamond grinders to the University District and Eastlake neighborhoods this weekend. This is the third consecutive weekend of overnight pavement work. Overnight drivers should plan for lane closures and neighbors should expect noise as crews smooth and repair rutted and cracked pavement.
Construction crews will close the three right lanes of southbound I-5 between Northeast Ravenna Boulevard and East Newton Street (parallel to the Boylston Avenue North on-ramp to southbound I-5) Friday and Saturday nights.
- Crews will close up to three right lanes from 10 p.m., Friday, Mar. 15 through 10 a.m. Saturday, Mar. 16 and again from 10 p.m., Saturday, Mar. 16 through 10 a.m., Sunday, Mar. 17.
- Crews will close the on-ramp from Northeast 50th Street to southbound I-5. All other on- and off-ramps inside the closure points will remain open.
- The I-5 express lanes will run in the southbound direction from 9:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights to 1:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. This express lane access will help relieve southbound congestion but may cause congestion heading north into Seattle between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m.
- The St. Patrick’s Day Dash takes place Sunday morning on SR 99 between the Battery Street Tunnel and the Aurora Avenue Bridge. SR 99 will be closed between 7:45 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Drivers headed into Seattle should expect extra congestion Saturday and Sunday mornings between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. and should plan an extra 10 minutes to get through the closure or take the express lanes to avoid construction. State maintenance crews will piggyback on the closure to perform maintenance work on the Ship Canal Bridge.
- WSDOT Project webpage: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/KingGrinding/UDistrictPavement/
- I-5 express lanes schedule: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/King/ExpressLanes/SpecialEvents.htm
- SR 520 weekend closure information: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/WeekendClosures.htm
- WSDOT traffic app: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Inform/mobile.htm
- WSDOT traffic twitter feed: twitter.com/wsdot_traffic
- What’s Happening Now: www.wsdot.wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/today.htm