Traffic changes will be in effect next week, February 20-24, on the Spokane Street Viaduct (at the east end of the West Seattle Bridge) and the Fauntleroy Expressway (at the west end of the West Seattle Bridge) as work progresses on improvements to these structures. Both of the contractors for these two projects will work on Monday, Presidents Day. (For traffic changes occurring this weekend, February 18-19, please see the previous advisory.)
The Fauntleroy Expressway will not be closed Monday night, but will be closed Tuesday and possibly additional nights next week. The following detours will be in effect during the nighttime closures:
- Westbound motorists traveling to West Seattle via the West Seattle Bridge will be directed to use the Delridge Way SW off-ramp.
- Eastbound motorists on Fauntleroy Way SW will be detoured at 35th Avenue SW and will be directed to the West Seattle Bridge via SW Genesee Street and Delridge Way SW.
The Fauntleroy Expressway project is ahead of schedule, and the contractor expects that this will be the final week of nighttime closures. For more information on the Fauntleroy Expressway and a map of the detour, visit SDOT’s project Web site, http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bridge_rehab_fauntleroy.htm.
On the Spokane Street Viaduct, the eastbound travel lanes will be reduced to one lane between the SR 99 off-ramp and Fourth Avenue S each night from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. The First Avenue off-ramp will be closed, but the Fourth Avenue S off-ramp will remain open. Access to I-5 will be maintained.
Traffic changes on surface streets under the Spokane Street Viaduct will also be in effect from 9 p.m. each night until 5 a.m. the next morning:
- First Avenue S at the intersection with S Spokane Street will be closed with northbound traffic detoured at S Spokane Street to Fourth Avenue S. Southbound traffic will be detoured at S Hanford Street.
- Eastbound, lower Spokane Street will be closed between East Marginal Way S and First Ave S.
- The eastbound on-ramp from Harbor Island to the Spokane Street Viaduct will be closed and traffic will be detoured via lower S Spokane Street/East Marginal Way S.
For more information on the Spokane Street Viaduct project, visit SDOT’s project web site, http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/spokanestreet.htm or call Paul Elliott, (206) 684-5321
Media contact: Marybeth Turner, (206) 684-8548, (206) 684-3151