The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) will close the Fauntleroy Expressway (from 35th SW to the Delridge ramps at the west end of the West Seattle Bridge) during the night next week, February 13-17, as previously announced, and also during the weekend beginning Saturday, February 18, at 9:00 p.m. until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, February 19.
During these closures the following detours will be in effect:
- Westbound motorists traveling to West Seattle via the West Seattle Bridge will be directed to use the Delridge Way SW off-ramp.
- Eastbound motorists on Fauntleroy Way SW will be detoured at 35th Avenue SW and will be directed to the West Seattle Bridge via SW Genesee Street and Delridge Way SW.
Additionally, northbound traffic on SW Avalon Way will be restricted February 13-19 during these dates and times:
- Monday, February 13, through Friday, February 17, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 18, starting at 6:00 p.m. until Sunday, February 19, at 11:59 p.m.
During these times the following detour for SW Avalon Way will be in place:
- Northbound motorists traveling on SW Avalon Way will be detoured to eastbound SW Spokane Street. They will then be directed to perform a U-turn at 26th Avenue SW onto westbound SW Spokane Street and then north on Harbor Avenue SW. Northbound trucks and Metro buses traveling on SW Avalon Way will be flagged through the work zone.
These closures are required as part of the seismic retrofit of the Fauntleroy Expressway in order to make it more likely to withstand the force of a major earthquake. The work is funded by the “Bridging the Gap” transportation levy approved by Seattle voters in November 2006.
For more information and a map of the detour, visit SDOT’s project Web site, http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bridge_rehab_fauntleroy.htm
or contact Maribel Cruz, (206) 684-7963, firstname.lastname@example.org
Media contact: Marybeth Turner, (206) 684-8548, email@example.com