Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) reminds travelers of the upcoming January 27 – 29 weekend closure of the I-5 on- and off- ramps at Mercer Street. Due to multiple events in the South Lake Union area this weekend, closure times have been modified to accommodate event access.
I-5 off-ramps at Mercer Street: Will close beginning Friday at 11:00 p.m. and will re-open Saturday at 9:00 a.m.
I-5 on-ramps at Mercer Street: Will close beginning Friday at 11:00 p.m. and will re-open Sunday at approximately 7:00 p.m.
Fairview Ave. N: Will close to northbound traffic at Republican St. beginning Friday at 7:00 p.m. and will be fully closed to both northbound and southbound traffic on Friday at 11:00 p.m. Fairview Ave. N will re-open Sunday at approximately 7:00 p.m.
During this closure, crews will prepare for Stage 2 of Mercer East by switching eastbound Mercer Street traffic onto the new Mercer Street lanes north of the existing lanes. Detour maps for both the weekend closure and Stage 2 are available on the project website: www.seattle.gov/transportation/ppmp_mercer.htm.
Access to the Seattle Boat Show at South Lake Union Park during the weekend closure will be maintained. More information about detour routes for the Seattle Boat Show is available at: www.boatsafloatshow.com.
Travelers are encouraged to carpool and use alternate modes of transportation. Transit information can be found at:
- King County Metro at www.kingcounty.gov/metro, or by calling 206-553-3000
- Sound Transit at www.soundtransit.org
- Seattle Streetcar at http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/
- Community Transit at www.commtrans.org
Mercer Street Stage 2 Traffic Switch Will Begin Following the Weekend Closure
Following the weekend closure, Stage 2 of Mercer East will begin and eastbound traffic on Mercer Street will be re-routed onto the new Mercer Street lanes north of the existing lanes. Three lanes of traffic will continue eastbound on Mercer Street with access to the I-5 on-ramps and southbound Fairview Avenue N.
- The far-right lane of eastbound Mercer Street will be right-turn only at Dexter Avenue N.
- Access to Mercer Street from the south via Boren, Terry, and Westlake Avenues will be concurrently closed at Republican Street.
- Right turns from Mercer Street onto Fairview Avenue N southbound will still be allowed; however, alternate routes should be used to reach Eastlake Avenue E and Capitol Hill (i.e. Dexter Avenue N to Republican Street) due to increased congestion on Mercer Street.
- Left turns from Mercer Street onto Fairview Avenue N northbound will not be permitted during Stage 2.
Please note: The weekend closure and traffic switch are weather dependent and subject to cancellation. Further notification will be provided as the work is confirmed.
Contact: Richard Sheridan, 206.684.8540