Today the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) begins work to rebuild and repave N/NW 85th Street between 15th Avenue NW and I-5. Commuters and neighbors can expect major traffic impacts throughout construction, anticipated to last approximately 10 months.
This much-needed project largely rebuilds the two-mile stretch of roadway, including adding or upgrading curb ramps at street corners, improving sidewalks and enhancing the drainage systems. The project is divided into five phases moving from west to east.
January traffic changes:
Phase 1 – 15th Avenue NW to 8th Avenue NW
- By midday January 4, NW 85th Street will be closed to eastbound traffic, including Metro buses, and all vehicles will be detoured via NW 80th Street.
- Westbound traffic will be reduced to one lane.
- Parking will be prohibited on NW 85th Street.
- Lane configuration and traffic control will frequently change depending on the type of construction work.
Phase 2 – 8th Avenue NW to Greenwood Avenue N
- Construction activities are expected to start the week of January 9.
- Periodic lane closures will occur though traffic will be maintained in both directions.
- The closure for eastbound traffic will not start in this area until the Phase 1 eastbound closure is complete.
SDOT will also rebuild the 8th Avenue NW and Greenwood Avenue N intersections, requiring multiple weekend closures. Once the schedule for these closures is confirmed additional notification will be provided.
“With over 30,000 vehicles using N/NW 85th St each day, drivers are urged to plan ahead, allow extra time, find alternative routes and avoid traveling during the busiest times of day,” said SDOT Project Engineer Jessica Murphy.
This project is the single largest paving project included in the Bridging the Gap levy passed by voters in 2006.
To sign up for regular construction email updates, send an email to email@example.com .
For more information, contact the 24-hour project line at (206) 496-9993, email firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_85th.htm.