Work to widen the South Spokane Street Viaduct – the elevated roadway that connects I-5 to the West Seattle Bridge—will continue this weekend. Crews will again close two ramps leading to West Seattle:
• The northbound I-5 off-ramp leading to the West Seattle Bridge.
• The ramp from Columbian Way (from Beacon Hill) leading to the West Seattle Bridge.
These ramps will be closed from 10:00 p.m., Friday, January 29, until 5:00 a.m., Monday, February 1. I f work is done earlier, the ramps will reopen earlier–watch for announcements. In case of rain, crews may reschedule some of the work for the following weekend.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) will detour traffic on surface streets through the south of downtown area. This phase of the project should have minimal disruptions for King County Metro Transit bus service, but there could be delays if there is traffic congestion.
Drivers going to and from the Seattle Boat Show at the Qwest Field Event Center and the Mariners’ FanFest at Safeco Field should use the James Street, Airport Way, Dearborn Street or Forest Street exits from I-5, and then follow signs to the stadiums. From the Alaskan Way Viaduct (SR99), take the First Avenue South exit. Traffic on I-90 will not be affected.
Drivers should also be aware of the following ongoing closures:
• The existing westbound Spokane Street Viaduct off-ramp to Fourth Ave South is permanently closed.
• All lanes of lower Spokane Street between Sixth and First avenues are closed to through traffic for the duration of the project. Access to local businesses will be maintained.
• Fourth Ave South between South Horton and Industrial Way South is reduced to one lane in each direction for the next several months. This may also include full closures of the northbound lanes at night for up to a week.
For more information, LeAnne Nelson, (206) 684-3897, email@example.com,
Media contact: Marybeth Turner, (206) 684-8548, Mobile: (206) 255-9363