SDOT’s contractors are performing a great deal of paving on heavily traveled, downtown streets. The work among projects is coordinated to minimize traffic disruption. SDOT appreciates the patience of drivers as this critical work progresses as quickly as possible in order to complete all of the work scheduled for the current construction season.
Starting Sunday, August 23, SDOT’s contractor will begin grinding the existing asphalt surface at night between Eastlake Avenue E and Westlake Avenue. The concrete portion of this street has already been paved.
• Sunday to Wednesday, Aug 23-Aug 26, during the day, this part of Stewart Street will be restricted to two lanes. Then from as early as 5 p.m. each day until 6 a.m. the following day, traffic will be restricted to one lane. Police Officers and traffic flaggers will assist traffic. The contractor expects to complete grinding by Wednesday morning, August 26.
Second Avenue Extension South
SDOT’s contractor will completely reconstruct Second Avenue Extension South between South Washington Street and South Jackson Street during the next several months. There will be closures of South Main Street, Third Avenue South, and South Washington Street at Second Avenue Extension with detours posted.
• Saturday Aug 22, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., expect very brief closures of Main Street and Third Avenue along the east side of Second Avenue Extension South. Contractors will pour concrete at the intersection of Second Avenue Extension and South Main Street. The brief closures will allow cement trucks to move in and out.
• Sat Aug 29 – Sun Aug 30, from 2 a.m. Saturday to late Sunday night (on or before midnight), Main Street will be closed to all east and westbound traffic at Second Avenue Extension South. Traffic driving eastbound on Main Street will be able to turn south on Second Avenue but will not be able to cross Second Avenue. A detour will be provided using Jackson, Fourth Avenue, Yesler Way, and Third Avenue. Traffic driving southbound on Third Avenue will be required to turn east at Main Street.
Second Avenue, Denny Way to Pike Street
SDOT’s contractor will grind and remove existing asphalt during weeknights. When the grinding is finished, the contractor will repair the concrete base. Repaving is scheduled for mid-September.
• Thursday-Friday, Aug 27-28, and Monday-Tuesday, Aug 31-Sept 1, starting as early at 6 p.m. each night and until 6 a.m. the following day, at least one lane will remain open and there will be brief closures of cross streets at Second Avenue.
Marion Street will have two lanes open to traffic during weekday, peak traffic periods. One lane will be open during non-peak hours. The contractor will perform drainage and street base repair work during the day. Between Western and Sixth avenues the contractor will also work on sidewalks, alley entrances, and curb ramps. During the night the crews will remove and replace roadway pavement.
• Friday, Aug 21, Marion Street will be restricted to one lane from Third Avenue to Fifth Avenue from 7:15 p.m. to early the next day
• Saturday, Aug 22, Marion Street will be restricted to one lane from Third Avenue to Fifth Avenue from 4:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For information: George Frost, (206) 615-0786, or see http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/2009_2010_pave.htm
Media contact: Marybeth Turner, (206) 684-8548