SDOT advises travelers of construction on S Holgate St from Airport Way S to 8th Ave S beginning the week of May 1, and lasting through early September 2017. Crews will replace a pedestrian access staircase to the S Holgate St bridge with a more accessible ramp, build new curb ramps at the corner of S Holgate St and 8th Ave S, and extend the sidewalk to connect to the new ramp. This work is weather dependent and subject to change.
From the week of May 1 through early September, travelers can expect:
- Westbound S Holgate St to be closed from Airport Way S to 8th Ave S
- Westbound drivers will be directed by signed detour to S Stacy St or S Massachusetts St
- Eastbound traffic on S Holgate St will be maintained
- Temporary lane shifts and delays on the S Holgate St bridge during installation of pedestrian improvements
- Reduced lane widths on the S Holgate St bridge to accommodate pedestrian access around the work zone
- Pedestrian detours around the work area; bicyclists should follow signed pedestrian detours or merge with traffic
- Parking restrictions under the S Holgate St bridge; the construction contractor will use this area of the public right-of-way for staging equipment and materials
- The bus stop for King County Metro Route 124 on westbound S Holgate St will be temporarily closed during this work; passengers should use the stop on Airport Way S north of S Hill St. For information about bus service look for Rider Alert notices at bus stops, visit Metro Online, or call 206-553-3000.
The S Holgate Street Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project will improve safety and access for pedestrians and bicyclists to the S Holgate St bridge, which is an important connection between Beacon Hill, SODO, and the Mountains to Sound Trail. If you have questions or concerns, please email the project team or call 206-727-3580. SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is completed.